Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Roasted Strawberry Ice Cream


I saw this recipe on Closet Cooking (another food blog that I love) and knew immediately that I had to make it. It sounded too interesting and delicious to pass up. Roasting the strawberries in balsamic vinegar intensified the flavor of the strawberries and made them taste wonderful! The roasted strawberries would be delicious over Angel Food Cake too! If you are skeptical in any about this recipe, try it...I know you'll love it. This is by far my husband's favorite flavor of home made ice cream. I doubled the recipe so that we could have left overs to freeze!

Ingredients:
2 cups strawberries (cleaned and hulled)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup 2% milk
1/2 cup sugar (I used vanilla sugar)
3 egg yolks
Directions:
1. Toss the strawberries in the balsamic vinegar and sugar and let sit for 20 minutes.
2. Pour the mixture on a baking pan covered in foil folded up on the sides to capture the juices.
3. Roast the strawberries in a preheated 425F oven until they start to caramelize, about 15-20 minutes.
4. Place the strawberries and the juices into a container and chill in the fridge.
5. Heat the cream, milk and sugar in a sauce pan until it almost boils, about 5 minutes.
6. Reduce the heat to low.
7. Add one tablespoon of the cream mixture to the eggs to temper them.
8. Add the egg mixture to the sauce pan.
9. Cook at low heat until it thickens and can coat the back of a spoon.
10. You may want to strain the mixture at this point to remove any bits that may have formed while cooking.
11. Chill the mixture in the fridge.
12. Mix the cream and strawberry mixtures.
13. Freeze according to the instructions for your ice cream machine.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah Jane, I miss you!! You are such a great cook.....I think your the next food network star!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps this is emilee munday I think it's signed into my husbands email!

    ReplyDelete