Monday, May 18, 2009

Quinoa Salad



This salad is perfect for a light summer meal. You could easily add cooked shrimp or chicken to make is a complete meal. It is light, refreshing and FULL of flavor. My husband went back for seconds and ended up finishing off the last of it! I love that it is so simple, healthy and quick to throw together. Quinoa is a grain that is often overlooked. It is packed with protein and cooks up more quickly than rice. I choose to cook it in organic free range chicken broth to add an extra layer of flavor. I am not going to include quantities in the recipe since I did not measure anything out. Just add however much of everything looks good to you. I served this salad with salmon and corn on the cob....YUM!
Quinoa Salad
Cooked Quinoa (1:2 ratio-1 cup quinoa to 2 cups liquid)
Roasted asparagus (I drizzle a little olive oil over asparagus and toss with salt and pepper-throw it under the broiler for a couple of minutes)
1 red bell pepper chopped
chopped kalamata olives
3 scallions, sliced
lemon dressing (1 lemon juiced and zested, 1 clove garlic minced, pinch of salt and pepper, 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil)
chopped cilantro
Season salad with salt and pepper
Toss everything together and refrigerate!

No comments:

Post a Comment