Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Roasted Butternut Squash Salad with Grilled Turkey


As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I LOVE butternut squash, acorn squash, spaghetti squash.....This salad is a combination of my own creation and a recipe I found on Epicurious. It was light, yet filling and full of savory and sweet flavors. The original recipe did not call for turkey or tomatoes, but I always need some kind of protein with dinner and I have been receiving SO many beautiful and delicious tomatoes from a co-worker's garden! I just had to add them. Plus, a salad isn't a salad without tomatoes. At least not to me. Because there isn't really a recipe for this, I will just let you know what I put on it. First, I roasted 1/2 of a butternut squash (that is all I had) at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. I tossed it (I peeled it with a vegetable peeler and sliced it into large chunks) with a bit of olive oil, rosemary, salt and pepper and a little bit of balsamic vinegar mixed with about 1-2 tsp. of brown sugar. The squash will be tender when it is done. I placed fresh field greens on a plate and topped them with fresh tomatoes, cucumber, dried cranberries, avocado, garbonzo beans, the squash, and gorgonzola cheese crumbles. I then marinated turkey cutlets in fresh lemon juice, minced garlic, rosemary, olive oil, salt and pepper. I let it marinade for about 20 minutes and grilled it on the George Foreman grill until it was cooked through but still juicy. When it done, let it rest for a few minutes. Slice it up and toss it on your salad. Top your salad with your favorite dressing. This was such a yummy meal! I also served fresh baked rolls on the side. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment