Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Dakota Smashed Pea and Barley Soup




There is no question that this soup has an unusual, somewhat concerning color. There isn't much that can be done about that. However, this is one of the best soups I have ever had. If you have ever had California Pizza Kitchen's Dakota Smashed Pea and Barley soup, then you know what this soup tastes like. This soup is every bit as good and just may possibly be better! The best part is that it is so easy and inexpensive! I have been on a serious budget kick lately. I have been trying to see just how many meals I can make on few ingredients. For whatever reason, I have not been wanting to spend money on anything...including groceries. That is unusual for me. Food is one thing that I usually don't hesitate spending money on...I justify it because it is a necessity. Anyway, I served this soup with a salad with grilled chicken and a whole wheat roll. DELICIOUS!!!
Dakota Smashed Pea and Barley Soup
2 cups split peas
4-5 cups water
4 cups chicken broth
1 onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2-1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 cup barley (dried)-I used quick cooking
2 medium-large carrots diced
2 ribs celery, diced
salt and pepper to taste
Rinse the split peas. Add the peas, 4-5 cups water, 4 cups broth, onion, garlic, parsley, sugar, salt, pepper and thyme to a soup pot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours or until the peas are soft. Cook the 1/2 cup barley according to package instructions. When the split pea mixture has become thick and the peas are soft, use a hand held immersion blender to blend the mixture to a smooth consistency. Add the barley, carrots and celery and simmer for another 20 minutes. Top with fresh diced green onions.
This soup thickens A LOT when it sits.

No comments:

Post a Comment