Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Sweet and Sour Meatballs


I saw this recipe on another food blog and had to give it a try. I had never made meatballs as a meal before and wanted to give it a try. This recipe had great reviews so I figured I couldn't go wrong. I made a few minor changes to the recipe beginning with the meat. I used lean ground turkey instead of beef and I would highly recommend it! The turkey went really well with the rest of the ingredients and it was a lot more healthy. Besides, I didn't have to worry about a bunch of fat and grease pooling in the sauce as they baked. That would just be wrong and I am pretty sure I would not have been able to eat them. I also added a grated clove of garlic, just because it sounded good. A key ingredient in the sauce is BBQ sauce and in my opinion, anything with BBQ sauce in it or on it is delicious. It is a bit more tangy with the vineager and is delicious with the rice. I served the meatballs over brown scallion and edamme rice with a green salad and a piece of cheese toast. It was a yummy meal and I will be making these again!

Sweet and Sour Meatballs
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef (I used ground turkey)
3/4 cup quick oats (I used regualr and it was fine)
2 eggs, slightly beaten (I used one)
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Combine all of the ingredients and mix well. Form into 12-14 balls each about 2 inches in diameter. Place in a casserole dish and cover with sauce below. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.

Sauce:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. yellow or Dijon mustard
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
1 tsp. Worcestershire sace

Combine ingredients in a small sauce pan and heat until well combines and sugar is dissolved. Pour over the meatballs. (I doubled the sauce and it was the perfect amount for 1 recipe of meat balls).

No comments:

Post a Comment