Sunday, February 6, 2011

Ham and Sausage Pizza


This just may be our new favorite pizza! Actually, I think I say that everytime I make a new pizza for us! This was thrown together with ingredients I just happened to have in the fridge and it was a great combination! I made my regular pizza crust recipe and topped it off with Classico brand tomato and basil pasta sauce, red onions, sliced red bell pepper, olives, sauteed mushrooms, diced smoked ham and chicken sausage. I used a combination of fresh mozzarella and provolone cheese to top it off. I love mozarella because it melts so well, is inexpensive and goes with anything. I love provolone because it has such a nice strong flavor! This was such a delicious pizza and we were left wanting more after it was gone. In fact, I am making more tonight because we loved it that much! It fits right in with my efforts to make the most of the ingredients I have on hand and cut down on our grocery expenses too....you've gotta love those kinds of meals!

Just as a side note, I always use a pizza stone when I make pizza. It makes the biggest difference! I have heard some people say that they don't like to use a stone because the crust sticks to it and makes a big mess. I have NEVER had my crust stick to the stone. The trick is to let it preheat in your oven at a high temperature for about 15-20 minutes. Pull it out right before you are going to put the crust on it. Sprinkle it with a light coating of cornmeal and then place your crust on top. You HAVE to let the stone get hot enough!!!! I always like to blind bake my crust for a few minutes (5-7) at 450 degrees, just so it starts to get a bit toasty. Pull it out and put the sauce and all other toppings on it. Once your pizza is topped, toss it back in the oven to finish baking and let the cheese melt. Blind baking the crust allows the dough to set up a bit so that the sauce doesn't get the crust all soggy. I hate soggy pizza crust.

Hope that little tip helps! Happy pizza making!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment