Sunday, March 15, 2009

Warm Buttermilk Biscuits


I had a lot of buttermilk leftover from the muffins I made a few days ago. I decided that since I had never made biscuits before that this would be a good excuse for me to make them! They literally took about 7 minutes to whip up. They smelled SO GOOD cooking! They made a good breakfast for my husband along with some fresh strawberries.......YUM!
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons chilled butter
1 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs form. Add buttermilk, tossing with a fork until a dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly a few times just until smooth. Pat the dough to desired thickness, 1/2 inch to 1 inch (I like thick biscuits). Using a round cookie cutter, cut out biscuits.
Bake on ungreased baking sheet for 12-15 minutes or until lightly golden. Brush some melted butter over the tops to make them even more delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment