Friday, October 30, 2009

Chicken Noodle Soup

I feel so bad that I haven't posted for so long!!! I have been so busy....a lot more that usual. Anyway, this week one of the dishes I made for a client is a delicious and flavorful classic Chicken Noodle Soup. It has certainly turned into soup and bread weather. One of my favorite combinations. In fact, I am sure you will see plenty of soup posts from me. This Chicken Noodle Soup is full of fresh carrots, celery, thyme, rosemary, garlic, onions, tender chicken and peas. I make it with whole wheat egg noodles to make it even more healthy and hearty. I apologize for not having a picture, but trust me, this is a keeper! To make the whole process even more simple than it already is, I usually purchase a rotisserie chicken from Costco. They are a great deal and save a lot of time. It also gives me leftover chicken for sandwiches, wraps, enchiladas....etc. You should try this soup. You'll like it!

Chicken Noodle Soup

1 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 medium carrots cut diagonally and into 1/2 inch thick slices
2 celery ribs, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
4 fresh thyme sprigs (I just use dried thyme-eyeball it)
rosemary (eyeball it)
1 bay leaf
2 quarts of chicken stock
8 ounces dried egg noodles
1 1/2-2 cups shredded chicken
salt and pepper to taste
chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Handful fresh or frozen peas

Place soup pot over medioum heat and coat with oil. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, thyme and bay leaf. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes, until the veggies are softened but not brown. Pour in chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the noodles and simmer for 5 minutes until tender. Fold in the chicken, and continue to simmer for another couple of minutes to heat through. Add fresh peas and fresh parsley. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment