Sunday, October 11, 2009

Mashed Potatoes and Gravy


Now that fall is here I have been in the mood for fall foods. One of my favorite things about fall is Thanksgiving and one of my favorite things about Thanksgiving is the mashed potatoes and gravy. I love the combination of gravy swirled in the potatoes with peas and a hot roll to dip in it! MMMMMMM SO GOOD! Today I made a recipe from Ellie Krieger for Smashed Potatoes with Sour Cream and Chives. I also made a version of gravy from Rachael Ray. I was pleasantly surprised by how flavorful the gravy was...we loved it and will be making it again and again. I grilled a piece of salmon for me and a nice juicey steak for my hubby. It was a very satisfying fall meal!


Smashed Potatoes with Sour Cream and Chives

1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth, warmed
1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Place potatoes in a steamer basket fitted over a large pot of boiling water. Cover and steam for about 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Add the broth, and coarsely mash the potatoes. Stir in the sour cream and chives. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.
Rosemary and Mushroom Gravy
3 tablespoons butter (I used 1 Tbsp. Smart Balance and 1 Tbsp. olive oil)
12 cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced (I used regualr sliced mushrooms)
1/4 yellow onion chopped
3 to 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped (I used 2 tsp. dried)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken stock
Heat a small skillet over medium heat with 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon oil. When butter melts add the mushrooms and onion and cook until dark and tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and add rosemary to the pan. Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and cook a minute. Whisk in the stock, bring to a bubble and thicken, 5 minutes, over medium-low heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment