Monday, October 5, 2009

White Turkey Chili


Fall is here. In fact, I think that winter is trying to cheat out fall and sneak in a bit early....too early if you ask me. I LOVE fall weather. The thing is, once fall comes I know that winter is just around the corner and I know in just a few short weeks I will be digging my car out of the snow. UGH!!!! I do not like the snow one little bit!!! At least the winter is a bit more enjoyable with all the yummy soups, chili, and cookies that come with the season! My husband and I love chili. I have never tried making a white chili, but this recipe sounded good, and I have really been in the mood for turkey. I made the chili the night before we ate it, hoping to give the spices a chance to soak in a bit and develop. After I made it, I wasn't so sure how much we were going to like it. I am used to chili being thick. This had more the consistency of a soup. We ate it the next day for dinner. It was really good! A lot better than I thought it was going to be after making it. I topped it off with the yogurt (a must) and I added a bit more spices right before digging in. It had really good flavor. I served it with corn muffins, but it would be equally good with tortilla chips.
White Chili
Ellie Kreiger

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 stalks celery, diced (about 1/2 cup)
3 medium poblano peppers (about 4 ounces each), seeded and white ribs removed, finely diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, more to taste
1 pound ground white meat turkey
2 (15.5-ounce) cans white beans such as cannelini, preferably low-sodium, drained and rinsed
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (15.5-ounce) can hominy, drained and rinsed
Salt
1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek-style yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Lime wedges
Directions
Heat the oil in large pot or Dutch oven over moderate heat. Add the onion, celery, poblanos, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, coriander and cayenne and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until the meat is no longer pink about 2 minutes. Add the white beans, broth and oregano. Cook, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes.
Add the hominy and salt and more cayenne pepper, to taste, and continue cooking, partially covered, 10 minutes longer. Ladle into individual bowls and top each serving with 1 tablespoon of yogurt and 1 1/2 teaspoons of cilantro. Garnish with a lime wedge.

No comments:

Post a Comment