Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Coconut Green Curry Chicken


I have been craving curry for a while now and am just now getting around to making some. I have never used curry paste before and thought I would give it a try. I could only imagine that in combination with coconut milk, this dish would for sure satisfy my curry craving. I found this recipe in the new cook book by Everyday Food. I did alter it just a bit by adding more veggies. I love my veggies and as is, I am sure the recipe with green beans alone would be enough veg for most people. I, however, like lots of veggies! I added 2 large carrots sliced on this diagonal and some frozen peas. Also, if you think you can go without the fresh basil on top of this dish...bad idea. It really needs the flavor of the fresh basil. I also sprinkled a bit of soy sauce on top after it was all dished up. I think that was necessary as well. I finished the dish with some salt and pepper.

I served this dish with toasted pita chips and hummus. It was a big hit and I will for sure be making this one again.

Coconut Green Chicken Curry
1 cup long grain white rice
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Can (14.5 oz.) of chicken broth
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
12 ounces (about 3 1/2 cups) green beans, stems removed, halved crosswise
1 medium onion, halved and sliced
1-2 Tbsp. Thai green curry paste
4 roasted chicken breasts, skin and bones removed, meat cut into 1 inch pieces
1 (14.5 oz.) can coconut milk
1 cup torn fresh basil
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (from 1 lime)

Cook rice according to package instructions. Meanwhile, place cornstarch in a medium bowl, whisk in2-3 Tbsp. chicken broth until smooth (reserve remaining broth). Set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add green beans (and any other veggies). Cook stirring often until veggies are slightly tender.
Add curry paste to the veggies. Cook, stirring and scraping bottom of skillet until paste is slightly darkened, 3-4 minutes. Add chicken, coconut mil, reserved broth and cornstarch mixture. Simmer until vegetables are tender and sauce is slightly thickened, 5-8 minutes. Serve over rice and top with basil and a squirt of lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.




No comments:

Post a Comment