Friday, April 16, 2010

Potato Rosemary Pizza


I apologize for the horrible picture. It does not do this pizza justice. After finishing the last slice, my husband said how sad he was that it was all gone. Sad to say, this giant sized pizza only lasted two days at our house. Did I mention there are only two of us? Yes, we managed to polish off an entire extra large pizza in just two nights. I am pretty sure that the slices of pizza we each ate were double the size of our heads. Oh well, I think that is a good sign that we liked it! At first, my husband was a bit hesitant to try it. I mean, potatoes on pizza?! Try it. You'll love it just like us. The flavors melted so wonderfully together. Between the garlic roasted potato slices, fontina cheese, rosemary, chicken sausage and caramalized onions, we were honestly both in heaven. I did not follow a specific recipe for this pizza. Almost every potato rosemary pizza recipe I looked at called for bacon and we are not really bacon eaters here. I took the ingredients that were common in each of the recipes (fontina cheese, potatoes, and rosemary) and added a few of my own ingredients. I added chicken sausage, shredded chicken, caramalized onions, olives and sliced bell peppers (only on my half). It was DIVINE! I have to admit, I make one mean pizza crust too! I think that between rolling the dough out thin and cooking the pizza on a pizza stone, I have never had a better pizza crust. And that's the truth. Also, I like to cook the crust for a few minutes before putting the toppings on. That really helps keep the crust from getting soggy.
Potato Rosemary Pizza
2 medium yukon gold potatoes, sliced thin
2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
olive oil
cooked chicken sausage
1-2 Tbsp. minced rosemary
1 large onion, sliced thin
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
shredded chicken
grated fontina cheese
2 Tbsp. ranch dressing
sliced black or kalamata olives
1 recipe of pizza crust or 1 pre made pizza crust
Pre heat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non stick spray and lay the potato sliced down. Sprinkle the minced garlic over the top, drizzle a bit of olive oil on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender but not browned. In a medium skillet, heat a small amount of olive oil and add onion slices. Cook over med-high heat until slightly caramalized. Turn off the heat and set aside. When you are ready to top the pizza, spread 2 Tbsp. ranch dressing, sprinkle with cheese, and layer the potatoes on top. Sprinkle the rosemary on top of the potatoes, add the sausage, sliced olives, bell pepper, onions and shredded chicken. Sprinkle with more cheese and bake until it looks done. I usually cook pizza on 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Enjoy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment