Thursday, April 29, 2010

Broiled Polenta with Black Bean, Mango and Corn Salad


This is a meal that I threw together because I was really in the mood for polenta. I had only had it twice, once served broiled and once served soft. Although both ways are delicious, I think that I prefer the crispy crust the poleta gets when it is broiled for a few minutes. If you have never tried polenta before, you are really missing out. It is simply delicious! Honestly, I think that we will be having it a lot more often. It is inexpensive, and a great alternative to rice, pasta, or potatoes. I don't know about you, but I HAVE to have some kind of good starch with each meal. I love bread, potatoes, pasta, quinoa, couscous, and of course rice. Polenta is a welcomed change and will be making a lot more appearances on our table. Especially after this meal. My husband could not say enough about this meal! It was filling but light and packed full of flavor! I could honestly eat this for a week straight and still want more! This meal is composed of a few of my favorite things. Lime, cilantro, corn, black beans, fresh mozzerella, fresh veggies, mango, garlic, scallops (with my meal and steak wtih my husbands), and polenta! It may look like it takes a long time to make, but it really doesn't and it is very easy! You need to give this recipe a try...you won't be sorry!



Broiled Polenta

3/4 cup polenta (not quick cooking)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1-2 tsp. butter (I use Smart Balance Light)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated

Bring 4 cups of water, salt and pepper to a boil. Add polenta in a slow stream and stir constantly. Continue to stir until thickened. Reduce heat to medium low and continue to cook, stirring frequently until polenta is smooth; about 10 minutes. When fully cooked, add butter and cheese and stir to mix. Lightly spray a small-medium bread loaf pan with non-stick spray and pour polenta into it. Let the polenta sit and cool before covering and placing in the refrigerator to set. I prefer to let it sit overnight, but it needs at least a couple of hours. When polenta is set, cut into 1/2 inch thick sliced and place them on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Place slices under broiled for about 20-25 minutes, or until desired golden crust is acquired. Once polenta is broiled, you can put a slice of cheese (we used fresh mozzerella) and place under the broiler until melted.

Black Bean, Mango and Corn Salad
1 clove garlic, minced or grated
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp. salt
fresh ground black pepper
handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
1/4-1/2 fresh mango, diced
5 scallions, sliced
1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1/2 jalapeno, minced (optional)

In a medium mixing bowl, combine all dressing ingredients and mix well. Add the remaining ingredients and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.

*Note: This salad is also wonderful with diced avocado added just before serving.

I served this meal with a large fresh green salad, grilled shrimp and seared scallops (for me) and grilled steak for my husband. YUMMY!


No comments:

Post a Comment