Friday, April 24, 2009

Coconut Chicken Curry




I LOVE Indian food. I am always looking out for a new curry recipe. So far, curry is my favorite Indian dish. There are so many different kinds of curry. Some are mild, some hot, some green, some red, some sweet, some savory......you get the idea. When I saw this recipe I HAD to try it. It uses coconut milk which is an ingredient I haven't used very often. I love the flavor it gave to this dish. It didn't taste overwhelmingly like coconut. The taste of coconut was very subtle. I also added green peas and cauliflower, simply beacuse I think every curry needs both of those ingredients. Other than those minor changes, I followed the recipe. I used coconut milk instead of cream which helped thicken the sauce a bit. I had intentions of making Indian Naan (a type of flat bread), but I didn't have enough time this week. Oh well....another time! I served it with spiced pita chips and hummus. You should try this dish.....it is delicious!

Coconut Chicken Curry

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 small head or 1/2 large head cauliflower
1 cup frozen peas
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
Generous dash of ground red pepper
1 tablespoon curry powder (I like Mc Cormick)
1/2 cup raisins
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 large potato, peeled and chopped
1 and 1/2 cups chicken broth (plus a little more)
1/2 cup coconut cream or half and half (I used coconut milk)
hot cooked brown rice, for serving
Garnishes: chopped cilantro
sweetened coconut
chopped almonds or cashews
lemon wedges
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and chicken and cook, stirring often, until chicken is almost cooked through. Stir in garlic, ginger, red pepper, curry, raisins, carrots, cauliflower, and potato; cook stirring often for 1 minute. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until carrot and potato are tender, adding more broth if needed. Add coconut milk or half and half, and peas, and bring almost to a boil. (The sauce will be thin but the rice will soak it up.) To serve, put rice in individual bowls and top with curry and a generous amount of liquid. Top with cilantro, coconut, almonds and lemon wedges. Salt and pepper to taste.




No comments:

Post a Comment